Choosing a non-toxic foundation felt like a daunting task to me. Everyone’s skin is SO different and we all have different preferences when it comes to makeup – but especially foundation! Over the years I’ve tried many different non-toxic foundations and thought I would share my thoughts!
CHOOSING A FOUNDATION
Choosing a non-toxic foundation is no joke. Maybe you’re just starting to switch your products for clean, green makeup brands or maybe you’ve already tried a handful of natural,non-toxic foundations.
Did you know that your skin is actually your largest organ? Any product that is put on your skin is eventually absorbed into your bloodstream.
Many people argue that chemicals in makeup are used in minuscule amounts making them safe. The problem is that the average woman uses dozens of products every single day, each containing a whole slew of different ingredients. Unfortunately the toxic exposure adds up quickly!
Here are some ingredients to avoid in your makeup:
- Fragrance: This article explains the fragrance loopholes and why this is a BIG deal. May appear as parfum, fragrance, natural fragrance.
- Oxybenzone – used as an SPF. Linked to endocrine/fertility disruption and cancer
- Lake dyes: May appear similar to FD&C YELLOW NO. 6) High contamination concerns and shouldn’t be used near eyes.
- Parabens: Ingredient may contain words like Propyl, IsoPropyl, Butyl Ethyl. Strong evidence of endocrine disruption.
- PEGs: Polyethylene glycol are basically a plastic material that reduce the appearance of aging. However long term can be carcinogenic.
- Preservatives: Common preservatives alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs), beta-hydroxy acids (BHAs) or likely any of the other ingredients you can’t pronounce! Preservatives aren’t totally avoidable, but you can choose products with better options! The less preservatives, the better.
100% Pure is one of the non-toxic makeup brands with the cleanest ingredients and this non-toxic foundation is no exception. Their products are pigmented with fruit which I think is SO COOL!
This might be my personal favourite non-toxic foundation, my skin LOVES it. It looks like real skin, but is buildable for more coverage! And it lasts all day which isn’t always true of non-toxic foundations.
Clove & Hallow is an underrated non-toxic makeup brand in my opinion! Created by a professional makeup artist, these are quality and affordable products!
I’m generally not a fan of powder foundations, but this one is an exception! It doesn’t cake at all, and it’s great to use as a finishing powder when you’re feeling extra oily.
I have so many friends who RAVE about this Serum. Apparently it’s totally magic and works on every skin-tone. It’s for sure on my list to try!
As it’s name implies, this is NOT full coverage foundation. But I love it for days when I just want to even my skin-tone without full covereage. I will note that you need to mix this VERY well. I had to massage the tube for a good 10 minutes when I received it to get it to mix together. For a more full coverage option, they also have their Narcissist Foundation Stick.
This organic foundation is a good option for anyone with dry skin, as it contains coconut oil, Vitamin E and aloe vera gel. It has zinc oxide which is a reef-friendly sunscreen option.
This non-toxic concealer has excellent coverage! I only wish they provided more colour options as I am in between 2 shades.
Just like the Beauty counter non-toxic foundation, their concealer is incredible! I was even surprised that I really like the clickable pen.
I really liked the texture and coverage I got with this foundation. However, they only offer two different colour options (each with 2 shades – so 4 total). I could only use the lightest colour, and the darker colour was wasted. This concealer would be a great option for medium – dark skin tones.
I’ve heard many people rave about the coverage that this RMS concealer gets! I also like that it comes in a little container as I find you end up with less wasted product.
I hope this helped you pick out a non-toxic foundation and concealer!