We’ve been taught that a chemical smell = a clean home. Not only do you not need strong chemicals to have a clean home, but those chemicals can actually be harmful instead of helpful to your health! I switched to non-toxic cleaning products over 3 years ago and never looked back! Today I want to share how I clean my ENTIRE house with non-toxic cleaner products and how you can easily do the same!
One of the most surprising things about switching to non-toxic cleaners is that you’ll realize you don’t need a different product for everything! I clean nearly my entire home with the On Guard Cleaning Concentrate and Baking soda!
Why Should I Make The Switch?
I’m assuming that if you’re here, you already know the benefits of using non-toxic cleaning products! But let’s go over it again in case you aren’t quite sold.
Most of us spend more hours in our own homes than we do anywhere else. While we will never be able to control every environment we find ourselves in, we can control our home and that makes a huge difference!
Most cleaning products that you find on the shelves in the grocery store come with a plethora of warning labels. They suggest using in a well ventilated area, wiping away with water after using, not using around children/while pregnant/around pets, etc. If you or your child ingests a product you are urged to immediately call poison control.
Yet somehow it’s become normal to clean our kitchen counters, floors, and surfaces with these highly toxic chemicals!
Fortunately, the truth is that we can effectively clean our homes without these products! And we don’t have to sacrifice quality. I was actually so surprised how easy it was to clean my entire house with non-toxic cleaner!
ARE NON-TOXIC PRODUCTS EXPENSIVE?
There’s a misconception that non-toxic products are more expensive. And sometimes that’s true! Buying a seperate non-toxic cleaning product for each room of your home might end up being significantly more expensive!
But like I mentioned above, one of my favourite things about switching to natural cleaners is that I can actually clean my house with fewer products which SAVES me money!
DO NON-TOXIC CLEANING PRODUCTS WORK?
There are studies that show the efficacy of non-toxic cleaners like Essential Oils, Baking Soda and Vinegar.
Not to mention, there is actually no reason the average person needs to kill 99.9% of bacteria in their home. Unless you’re cleaning a hospital room or you have specific instructions from your doctor to live in a sanitized environment, small amounts of bacteria is actually a good thing!
BACTERIA IS GOOD
We live in a time of over-sanitization. We’re obsessed with products that kill ALL the bacteria. But bacteria is all around us. There’s more bacteria in our bodies than there are cells! Most of it is good bacteria which combats bad bacteria or viruses. We need that bacteria to survive.
When we strive to constantly kill 99.9% of bacteria with sprays and wipes, we are wiping our body of all the bad AND the good bacteria. This weakens our immune system and increases our chance of getting sick!
ON GUARD ESSENTIAL OIL
On Guard Essential Oil Blend is the “Protective Blend” from Doterra. It contains Wild Orange Peel, Clove Bud, Cinnamon Leaf, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus Leaf, and Rosemary Leaf/Flower. On Guard supports healthy immune function and has been studied for it’s ability to fight bacteria.
ON GUARD CLEANING CONCENTRATE
The On Guard Cleaning Concentrate contains the On Guard blend and is my favourite plant-based cleaner! The concentrate is only $14USD with a wholesale membership and lasts about 6 months in my home! You only need 2 tbsp of concentrate per 24oz of water in a spray bottle.
I am OBSESSED with this cleaner and have been using it for over 3 years in my home! I love the light smell of it, and it works very effectively on all different surfaces.
The On Guard Cleaning Concentrate is safe to use with pets or kids. In fact, the bottle states that if the product is ingested or gets in your eyes, you should flush with water. No poison control needed! It was a game changer as I learned to clean my entire house with non-toxic cleaner!
WAYS TO USE THE OG CLEANING CONCENTRATE
- In a spray bottle to wipe down counters, stove top, flooring, glass/mirrors, stainless steel appliances, baby toys, car interior, or nearly any surface in the house!
- Diluted in a foam soap dispenser for hand soap
- In a spray bottle as a laundry spot treatment
- As a cleansing hair shampoo (just use a quarter amount straight on hair)
- 1 tbsp in the laundry as detergent
- 1 tbsp in a gallon of water to wash produce
Personally, vinegar isn’t my choice of cleaner because I don’t love the smell of it. However, the smell DOES dissipate quickly. If you’re on a tight budget, vinegar is a highly effective cleaning product!
WAYS TO USE VINEGAR
- Diluted in a spray bottle as an all-purpose cleaner
- Diluted in a spray bottle with lemon oil as a glass/window cleaner
- Run vinegar through your Essential Oil Diffuser or humidifier to break down buildup
- Run a cycle through your kettle or coffee maker to break down calcium from hard water
- Add to laundry to brighten whites, or deodorize dirty items.
- Spray to remove weeds in the garden/grass
- Put a cup full of vinegar in the dishwasher and run a cycle to santize
- Deodorize carpets or flooring where pets have accidents
In my opinion, baking soda is one of the most overlooked product for cleaning. It is SO cheap to purchase and almost always does the trick when I’m needing something a little bit more powerful than my On Guard Concentrate.
I buy my baking soda in bulk because we use it so often! I keep a jar of baking soda beneath my kitchen sink, and another jar in the bathroom!
WAYS TO USE BAKING SODA
- Sprinkled in the sink with lemon essential oil to sanitize
- Sprinkle in the toilet bowl and let sit for 5 minutes before scrubbing
- Sprinkle in the bathtub and let sit for 5-10 minutes for extra scrubbing power
- Sprinkle on carpets with your choice of essential oil and then vacuum to minimize odours
- Clean oven door & inside by mixing a paste of baking soda, water and lemon essential oil. Coat on surfaces, let sit at least 1 hour and then scrub off.
- Sprinkle on stove top with lemon essential oil to clean thoroughly
- Put a jar of baking soda with lemon or Purify Essential oil in the fridge to reduce odours
- Add to water for an effective produce soak
- Clear drains by sprinkling baking soda and then vinegar and then boiling water down the drain regularly
- Add to laundry to whiten whites
Castile soap is an environmentally friendly soap made from vegetable oils such as coconut oil, avocado oil.
Like other soaps, castile soap attracts and traps dirt when in it produces suds. Most conventional soaps contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate to provide the foam or suds that we love. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is very harmful to aquatic life and irritating to human skin.
A common brand of Castile Soap is Dr Bronner’s which claims to be an 18-in-1 product.
WAYS TO USE CASTILE SOAP
- As pet or human shampoo!
- Diluted as a face wash or body wash
- Diluted as shaving cream
- Diluted in a foam dispenser for hand soap
- Diluted as all-purpose cleaner, produce wash, floor cleaner.
- Diluted for pest-control in your home or plants
- As a biodegradable & eco-friendly outdoor soap
Non-toxic cleaning can truly be so simple and affordable. These products are both safe and effective at cleaning all areas of your home!
I use these products – vinegar, baking soda, On Guard Concentrate and Castile Soap for 90% of my household cleaning!
For a few more of my favourite cleaning products, read this post!
If you found this post helpful and want to save it to reference later, hit the “pin” button on one of the photos below!