Over the years I have been moving towards a more simple and minimal lifestyle. Even before I associated with the term minimalist, I had begun questioning and moving away from the consumerism we experience during the holidays and towards giving gifts that aren’t things.
As a student, and then as a young, newly married person, the reality was that I couldn’t afford to spend 100s of dollars on gifts every year.
For 9 years now, I have lived on the opposite side of the country from my family. This means that even if I would travel home for Christmas, I didn’t have the space in my luggage for dozens of gifts.
Along with the fact that quality time is one of my top two love languages, I think this is what sparked my desire for gifts of time or experiences, instead of things.
I am all about making memories over owning more things. I’ll also admit that I am very picky with the things I do own, so while I am grateful, receiving random gifts is something I struggle with.
Here are 50+ ideas for Christmas gifts that aren’t things
Keep in mind: Any time I mention a gift card, I think it is even more fun if you plan a day to do that activity with the person! So instead of buying a gift card to the movie theatres, plan a night to bring your nieces/nephews/friend out to the movies and make it an experience!
- Flights to come visit you/you visit them
- Family Photo Session
- Planned/Paid Date nights
- Invite them over for a nice dinner
- Unique Experience – Backstage concert pass, bungee, white water rafting, etc
- Escape Room
- Cooking Class
- Music Lessons
- Photography Course
- Online Course for something they’d enjoy
- Amazon Prime
- Audible Annual subscription
- Netflix Annual Subscription
- Spotify Annual Subscription
- Annual Gym Membership
- Annual Blog Hosting Fees
- Babysit for a night
- Snow removal for the year
- Gardening Services
- Cleaning Service
- Car Detailing
- Meal Delivery Service
- A weekend getaway
- New Passport
- Gas cards for a roadtrip
- Passes to a local tourist attraction
Kids get so many toys every year for Christmas, birthdays, etc. If you feel overwhelmed with all the toys, but still want to spoil your kids for Christmas here are lots of ideas of kid gifts that aren’t things!
- A night in a fun hotel (like Great Wolf Lodge)
- Camping Trip
- A backyard pool
- A treehouse
- Flights to visit grandma/grandpa/aunt/cousins
- Zoo Pass
- Science Centre Pass
- Subscription Box (Little Passports)
- Music Lessons
- Swimming Lessons
- Woodworking Class
- Horsebacking Riding Classes
- Sports for a year – hockey, soccer, baseball, etc
- Movie Theatre
- Disney On Ice
- Amusement Park
- Ice Cream Outing
- Fast Food Outing (If that’s not a normal thing)
- Indoor Adventure (Trampoline Park, Mini Golf)
- Pro Sports Game
- Blanket Fort at home with snacks/movies
I hope you enjoyed these ideas of Christmas gifts that aren’t things! Be sure to pin it for later or share it with a friend.
More on Simplifying Christmas…