Here’s the thing…I really dislike fall. There I said it.
I could defend myself, explain how fall really just means that everything is dying, talk about my seasonal depression or the fact that winter lasts 9000 years where I live. But the reality is just that fall is not even close to being my favourite season.
Regardless, it’s here right now and I’m trying to make the most of it!
Scrolling through Pinterest, there are countless fall bucket lists of things to do in the fall. And honestly, most of the activities just don’t sound fun to me. I don’t really want to bake every pumpkin recipe that exists, and raking leaves sounds like work, not play.
So I brainstormed some activities that DO sound fun, and will help me to enjoy this season while it lasts!
Whether you ADORE fall and are just looking for more things to add to your fall bucket list, or you’re like me and you’re trying to find ways to bring light into this season…here are my ideas!
- Buy a cozy new sweater. The thing is, I don’t actually like wearing sweaters, jackets, boots, scarves, etc. I’m happiest in birkenstocks and a sundress. So I really dread the swap to fall clothes. Something I’ve found that helps is to buy or thrift myself a new clothing item that I know I will LOVE and wear all season!
- Make a Fall Bouquet. I love the life that comes with spring and summer, and that’s a huge reason why I struggle with fall. But it really helps me to continue bringing live bouquets into my home! Sometimes that just means cutting some branches off a tree in my yard and bringing them inside to enjoy!
- Go to the Farmer’s Market. I love the outdoor farmer’s markets during the summer, and I tend to forget about them once the weather gets colder. But most of our local markets are still going for a few more weeks, or have moved inside! So I plan on taking advantage of those during the fall and even in the winter!
- Experiment with making homemade fall drinks. So I’ve never tried a PSL, and have no desire to do so. BUT I do love a good chai latte, or apple cider. Experimenting with homemade drink recipes is so fun to do when the weather is colder outside!
- Have a campfire with friends. Summer is so busy for people, so this is something that we planned during the summer but never actually had time for. But a campfire is such a fun activity to do with friends throughout the fall and a must-do for your fall bucket list!
- Get your garden ready for spring. Yes, I might already be counting down the days until spring. I’m sorry, I just can’t help it. But fall is the perfect time of year to prep the garden for all the things next spring and summer!
- Host Friendsgiving. This is actually one of my favourite fall activities! We don’t live near family, so Thanksgiving doesn’t get much attention. But we love having a special Friendsgiving meal with our friends every year and it’s a necessary addition to my fall bucket list!
- Make a fall salad. Fall foods are something I can definitely get on board with. I’ve been obsessed with fall salads with apple and butternut squash lately!
- Add some mood lighting to your home. Once the weather starts getting colder, I break out the twinkle lights! With the shorter days, it helps me so much to have that special, cozy lighting in my home.
- Make a blanket fort. This is a tradition that my husband and I accidentally started a few years ago. We agreed to always make a blanket fort in our living room when we got our first snowfall (which is usually September here!). I love turning our whole living room into a nest of blankets & pillows for a few days, and just relaxing, and watching movies!
So there you go! My top 10 ideas for your Fall Bucket List, even if Fall isn’t your favourite season!