Each of Doterra’s starter kits come with the same 10 Essential Oils. And for good reason! These are the most popular, practical and versatile oils! You may have looked at this list of oils and wondering how you would actually use them. So I wanted to share 100 ways to use the top 10 Essential Oils!
While it’s not necessary, I highly recommend starting your Essential Oil journey with one of the most popular starter kits! They are heavily discounted, waive the membership fee, include the most popular oils, and often include a free diffuser!
If you’re unsure about why doterra instead of the cheap oils you can find on Amazon, I talked all about that here!
There are three main ways to use essential oils: Aromatically, Topically, Internally.
This is the most popular way to use your essential oils. Here are a few ways to do so:
- With an essential oil diffuser. To use a diffuser, fill it with water, add in 2-4 drops of your chosen essential oil and turn it on. Every diffuser has different settings, but generally there are options for different running times, and different light settings. DoTERRA’s diffusers all automatically turn off, either when the water is low or when the time is up.
- Put a drop of essential oil in the palm of your hands, rub your hands together and cup them over your face, inhaling deeply a few times.
- Put a few drops of a calming oil on a cotton ball next to your pillow.
- Make a DIY room spray to eliminate odours in your home.
Diffusing oils in your home does more than just make it smell nice. Diffusing can help promote a good mood, support your immune system, or calm your mind.
Topical application is a very effective method for applying essential oils. Because essential oils have low molecular weights and are lipid soluble, they easily penetrate the skin. Once absorbed, they stay in the applied area for a localized benefit.
Common areas to apply essential oils:
- Forehead and temples
- Chest and stomach
- Bottom of feet
You can generally apply essential oils to any area on the body that needs support. If you have a headache, apply peppermint to your temples. If you suffer from muscle pain, apply deep blue to the affected area. Keep in mind, we do not use essential oils inside of our eyes, ears or nose.
When using essential oils on small children or people with sensitive skin, always dilute. To dilute an oil, add your chosen essential oil to a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil.
If you happen to get an oil somewhere that is uncomfortable, or if your skin reacts to an oil, use a carrier oil to wash it off. Any popular household oils such as olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, etc will do the trick. Pour the carrier oil on, wipe it off and continue until skin sensitivity stops. Do not use water and soap as water will actually intensify the problem.
This is a HUGE reason why I chose doTERRA. Many of our essential oils can be safely used internally which is very rare with essential oil companies. As a general rule of thumb, if a doTERRA oil has “supplement facts” on it’s label, it is safe for internal use. If bottles just says “ingredients” it should only be used topically or aromatically.
- Add 1-2 drops of lemon to flavour your water
- Add peppermint oil to your Christmas baking
- Use a toothpick of oregano, thyme, ginger, cinnamon to replace dried spices in cooking
When adding oils to your water, only use glass or metal containers. Do not use plastic water bottles with essential oils. You can also purchase empty pills called veggie caps from dōTERRA which allow you to swallow essential oils like a pill. This is how I take “hot” oils such as oregano.
Disclaimer: I only recommend the use of dōTERRA oils internally because I know with certainty that each bottle is 100% pure. Please do not apply any of my tips to other brands as I cannot guarantee the quality or safety of other essential oils.
Ok now that you understand the basics, let’s get started with 100 ways to use the top 10 Essential Oils!
This is often the one oil that people have had experiences with, and most people have strong positive or negative opinions about it! If you’ve tried a lavender sleep spray or lavender bath salts and weren’t a fan – I’d recommend you give Doterra’s Lavender a chance!
- Make a DIY mattress spray
- Diffuse by itself or with breathe for calming sleep!
- Used in conjunction with lemon & peppermint for seasonal discomfort/sneezing
- Apply to sunburned/burned skin for soothing
- Apply to itchy bug bites for relief
- Apply below eye if experiencing discomfort or itching
- Apply to the back of your neck for head tension/pressure
- Diffuse for emotional balance & peace
- Apply topically over heart for stress relief
- Use diluted on a baby’s tummy for relief
- Add a few drops to a homemade play-dough recipe for kids
- Add 4-5 drops to epsom salts and then add to a bath
- Used in conjunction with lavender & peppermint for seasonal discomfort/sneezing
- Add 1-2 drops to a bottle of water for a gentle detox
- Natural “Goo-Gone”. Use a few drops to remove sticky residue.
- Diffuse for a fresh, clean smell
- Drop 1-2 drops down the kitchen sink after cleaning
- Mix with vinegar & water for an effective all-purpose cleaner
- Add to a container of baking soda for a DIY fridge odour remover
- Make a paste with baking soda, water and 10-15 drops lemon to clean your stovetop/oven door
- Diffuse while working to encourage concentration
- Mix with oils like peppermint, breathe, eucalyptus, grapefruit for a DIY room spray
- Put 1 drop in the palm of your hands, cup your hands around your nose and breathe slowly
- Apply to temples & back of neck for head tension and pain
- Use 1 drop in mouth, or diluted in a glass of water for fresh breath
- Used in conjunction with lavender & lemon for seasonal discomfort/sneezing
- Diffuse with lemon for an energizing, uplifting smell
- Apply to stiff or sore muscles
- Make a DIY sunburn relief spray with lavender and frankincense.
- Apply diluted to breasts if you wish to reduce milk supply
- Take 1 drop in water, or several drop diluted on tummy for stomach relief
- Apply to bottoms of feet or back of neck for fever/hot flash relief
Tea Tree (AKA Melaleuca)
- Use to keep wounds clean
- Use on sores in mouth
- Make a DIY spray for stinky shoes
- Add to shampoo to keep hair bug-free
- Make a DIY spray to keep plants bug-free
- Apply behind ear for earaches (never IN the ear!)
- Apply to skin blemishes
- Take 1-2 drops in a veggie cap to fight of infections or bacteria in the body
- Add to shampoo to help alleviate dandruff / a dry scalp
- Add to shower cleaner to keep mold away
- Apply dilute to the bottom of feet for immune support
- Apply diluted to skin tags or warts
- Take in a veggie cap to rid your body of unwanted organisms
- Use diluted in the mouth for sores
- Use the tip of a toothpick to add a tiny amount of oregano to pasta sauce
- Apply diluted to kids feet if they’re walking barefoot in public
- Proven to have anti-viral properties that can kill viruses
- Proven to kill bacteria
- Use in a spray bottle with water and tea tree in dark, damp corners throughout your home
- Create a “wellness bomb” in a veggie cap with 1-2 drops each of on guard, lemon, oregano, tea tree and frankincense
- Add a few drops to any roller bottle to “super charge” it’s effects
- Apply on pulse points for relaxation and stress relief
- Frankincense is being studied on it’s effects on brain tumours
- Take 1 drop under your tongue daily for full body cellular health
- Add 1-2 drops daily in skin care to slow signs of aging
- Diffuse or apply topically during meditation
- Apply to belly during pregnancy to reduce stretch marks
- Apply under the tongue for intense head pain
- Apply topically to skin for sore muscles, injuries
- Take in a veggie cap for immunity support
On Guard (Immunity Blend)
- Diffuse when your family gets home from work/school to kill bugs you may have brought with you
- Add 20-30 drops to a 30mL spray bottle to carry in your bag to spray on shopping carts, gym machines or other surfaces you may touch
- Add 1 drop to a cup of tea & honey for a quick immune boost
- Add to your all-purpose cleaner, dish soap or laundry detergent for it’s germ killing power!
- Add a few drops to your furnace filter
- Add 1-2 drops to water for an effective mouthwash
- Make your own cleaning wipes by soaking reusable paper towels in 1 cup water & 30 drops On Guard
- Take 1-2 drops in a veggie cap to stay healthy while travelling
- Drop a few drops down your sink to eliminate odours
- Put 3-4 drops on a cotton ball at the bottom of your garbage can to reduce odours
Breathe/ Easy Air (Respiratory Blend)
- Diffuse at night on it’s own or with your favourite sleepy oil (lavender, Serenity, Adaptiv, Bergamot) for a restful night sleep
- Add 1 drop in the palm of your hands and cup over nose to reduce stress while out in public (or at home!)
- Add 20-30 drops to a 10mL roller bottle diluted with Fractionated Coconut Oil to combat sneezing and itchy eyes.
- Add 3-4 drops to a cloth and place just out of the water flow in your shower to clear airways
- Apply to pulse points before a workout for energy and clear breathing
- Diffuse with lemon or wild orange while at work
- Apply topically to pulse points before visiting someone with pets to reduce irritation.
- Apply diluted to a baby or toddlers feet or down the back of their spine for respiratory support
- Add 1-2 drops of each: breathe, tea tree, oregano, peppermint to a cup of boiling water. Sit it on a table and cover your face and the cup with a towel – creating a tent. This helps reduce pressure behind your eyes & nose.
- Diffuse in the car on roadtrips to keep the car smelling fresh while also energizing you!
Deep Blue (soothing blend)
- Apply to neck and upper back if you have aches from working at an office desk all day
- Apply diluted to areas on children’s bodies that are quickly growing
- Bring with you and request your massage therapist uses it during a massage
- Add to your child’s hockey/soccer/sports bag any time they have sore muscles
- The perfect gift for any hard working man in your life!
- Apply to body aches after a poor night’s sleep
- Use on hands or other sore areas of an aging body
- Apply to temples, neck or upper back for intense head pressure or pain
- Give your spouse a soothing massage with deep blue and fractionated coconut oil
Digest Zen/ Zen Gest (Digestive Blend)
- Add 1-2 drops to a shot glass of water to reduce stomach symptoms
- Add 20-30 drops to a 10mL bottle of FCO and roll on your child’s tummy for digestive support
- Add 1-2 drops to a veggie cap if you want the support but don’t like the taste
- Smell the oil directly from the bottle if experiencing discomfort on a boat or in a car
- Preventatively use Digest Zen before a meal that may upset your stomach
- Apply diluted to the bridge of your nose to break up any congestion
- Using regularly may help a baby experiencing trouble with feedings & digestion
- Don’t forget to bring it with you on an international trip in case you come across food poisoning!
- Apply over your chest for symptoms of heartburn during pregnancy
There you go! 100 ways to use the top 10 Essential Oils! Are you convinced yet that each and every one of these oils can have a place in your home?
If this was helpful, be sure to save it as a reference for later!